Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Greater Transparency, Yeah Right!

On Oct. 6, 2013 I requested the Microsoft "Excel files" for the approved City Budget for FY 2013-14.

Keep in mind that I submitted this request in prior years without problem or hassle and the files were provided.

However, two weeks after the City Manager authored a guest column on the San Benito News titled "Greater Transparency", the City came to the conclusion that the "Excel files" I requested are "proprietary software" and would not release the files. They also argued that the FY 2013-14 Approved Budget is available on the city website in PDF format.

I told them I stood by my request for the "Excel files" and although not required by law to inform them as to why I needed the files I did inform them I do Budget Trend Analysis every year. Also by law, they are prohibited from asking the reason for the request. Consequently, the City filed a request for an opinion from the office of the Texas Attorney General, with a decision still pending.

I submitted my Facts to Consider






No comments: